The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine Health Resort is a unique and exceptional medical facility, which conducts its treatment in the old underground mining complex.
The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine Health Resort provides medical services in treatment chambers on the 3rd level of the Mine (135 metres underground). The exceptional microclimate in the Mine – where the air, thanks to the natural properties and characteristics of salt, is devoid of all pollutants and allergens, rich in micro-elements, and stays at a constant temperature and high humidity – is the primary basis of the treatment offered.
Our patients stay underground, under constant supervision and care of medical professionals, nurses and physiotherapists. To get to the chamber, the patients go down the renovated Regis Shaft, excavated in the 14th century, currently equipped with a modern lift, commissioned in 2012.
The operations of the Health Resort are based on the best practices of contemporary medicine and in cooperation with scientific authorities. The Resort helps patients who suffer from
chronic or recurrent respiratory tract diseases, such as:
• atopic and non-atopic asthma,
• chronic obstructive pulmonary disease – COPD,
• pollen allergy in the duration of the symptoms,
• chronic allergic rhinitis and sinusitis,
• chronic non-infectious bronchitis
• recurring rhinitis, sinusitis, pharyngitis and laryngitis.
As part of our active pulmonary rehabilitation programme, the “Wieliczka” Salt Mine Health Resort conducts the following treatments:
• specialised endurance and competence training sessions, tailored to each patient’s needs,
• cardio training,
• breathing training, encompassing: correcting patterns of breathing, strengthening respiratory muscles, cleaning the bronchial tree, coughing training,
• individual physiotherapy consultations with training instructions,
• recreational activities.
Moreover, health education is conducted during the stays in the form of lectures with the use of multimedia materials, regarding factors that may exacerbate or aggravate symptoms of pulmonary diseases, monitoring the course of a disease, conduct during dyspnoeic attacks, guidelines regarding changing lifestyle and work at home after the stay ends.
3-week stays focused on rehabilitation and treatment are conducted by the Health Resort in the chamber complex. (It is also possible to shorten the stay to 1 or 2 weeks).
The treatment is conducted 6 hours per day on working days (the patients do not go underground on the weekends).
The patients go down in two shifts: 8:15 a.m. – 2:15 p.m. and 1:45 p.m. – 7:45 p.m.
The treatment may be used by adults and children over the age of 4 years (under the supervision of an adult).
We also offer shorter stays:
• Health Day – one or more 6-hour prophylaxis and therapeutic stays underground.
• Healthy Sleep – 12-hour prophylaxis and therapeutic overnight stays in the Eastern Mountains Stable Chamber (requires earlier booking).
The Health Resort also recommends paying a visit to the “Salt Mill” building, located near St Kinga’s Shaft. The building offers:
• a full range of diagnostic tests (respiratory system diagnosis: spirometry, measurement of nitrogen oxide in exhaled air, a wide range of blood and urine tests, resting EKG, exercise tests, pulse oximetry, audiometry etc.)
• specialist medical advice (pulmonologist, allergist or medical rehabilitation professional).
• physiotherapy (laser, electrotherapy, cryotherapy, magnet therapy, light therapy, therapeutic massages, medical exercise, etc.)
• Medicine, brine and AMSA inhalations.
The stay at the Health Resort can also be complemented by inhalations at the newly built graduation tower – the biggest of its kind in Southern Poland (open also on weekends!)
We offer accommodations at the Grand Sal**** Hotel.